How can I be charged with child abduction in California if I am the parent?

Ron Cordova - Criminal Defense - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Ron Cordova

Ron Cordova Attorney at Law
Irvine, CA
Phone: 949-748-3600
Fax: 949-748-3888

View Profile

If you have interfered with the custodial right of the other parent, you can be charged with child abduction. This is a serious charge: The California Penal Code provides in Section 278.5 that if you deprive a lawful parent of custody or visitation of the child, you can face up to one year in county jail or up to three years imprisonment. 

You could also be charged with a federal offense if you take the child out of California. If you do this and deprive the other parent of his or her right to custody and/or visitation, you may face federal charges that are often tougher than state charges. If you take the child, but the child remains in the state, you can be charged with a state misdemeanor or felony. There are special rules that apply to taking a child out of California on a plane or a ship on the ocean as well. In these instances, you would do well to consult with an attorney who knows about international custody rules and federal criminal statutes.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers By Ron Cordova

Sex Offenses

I am 18 and my girlfriend is 15. Can I be charged with statutory rape if we have sex in California?

While most people call it statutory rape, California law defines this as unlawful intercourse and the charge is a serious one. In most states, the …

Answered by: Ron Cordova


Is a DUI a misdemeanor in California?

Yes. A first-, second- and third-time DUI are misdemeanors, provided there are no injuries or deaths from an accident related to the DUI. If there is …

Answered by: Ron Cordova

Drug & Alcohol Violations

What happens if I forge a prescription for drugs in California?

It is a misdemeanor or felony, depending on three things: the discretion of the prosecutor, the quantity of drugs sought and the judge. The law …

Answered by: Ron Cordova

Other Answers About Criminal Law - Federal

Criminal Law - Federal

How does a team defense strategy benefit someone in an Ohio or Federal criminal case?

If you or a loved one is under investigation or is charged with an Ohio or Federal crime, you may want to quickly develop a strategy with a defense …

Answered by: Michael C. Hennenberg

Criminal Law - Federal

What are the penalties for federal drug crimes in South Carolina?

The penalties depend on a number of factors. The short answer is that serious jail or prison time is a possibility, largely driven by the federal …

Answered by: Ryan L. Beasley


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.59337401390076 sec