My job requires me to travel, but I don’t want to violate my probation. What should I do in California?

Ron Cordova - Criminal Defense - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Ron Cordova

Ron Cordova Attorney at Law
Irvine, CA
Phone: 949-748-3600
Fax: 949-748-3888

View Profile

If you are on informal probation, there typically is no restriction to your travel. However, it is possible that your informal probation includes terms that specifically restrict travel. This does not mean, however, that you cannot get a modification for your job. An experienced and knowledgeable attorney can guide you through the modification process. 

If you are on formal probation, it is most likely that the terms of your probation include a travel restriction. If this is the case, speak with your probation officer. If your probation officer denies your request to allow you to travel for your job, you can apply to the court for a modification of the conditions of your probation. You may request a court hearing to challenge your probation officer’s unfavorable decision. As your job is directly tied to your livelihood, working with an experienced criminal defense attorney offers you the best chance obtaining approval of request for modification.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers By Ron Cordova

Sex Offenses

I am 18 and my girlfriend is 15. Can I be charged with statutory rape if we have sex in California?

While most people call it statutory rape, California law defines this as unlawful intercourse and the charge is a serious one. In most states, the …

Answered by: Ron Cordova


Is a DUI a misdemeanor in California?

Yes. A first-, second- and third-time DUI are misdemeanors, provided there are no injuries or deaths from an accident related to the DUI. If there is …

Answered by: Ron Cordova

Drug & Alcohol Violations

What happens if I forge a prescription for drugs in California?

It is a misdemeanor or felony, depending on three things: the discretion of the prosecutor, the quantity of drugs sought and the judge. The law …

Answered by: Ron Cordova

Other Answers About Criminal Law

Criminal Law

How Do I Determine Who Is The Best Criminal Defense Attorney In New York?

If you or a loved one has been arrested, accused or charged with a crime or placed under police investigation, it is extremely important to find the …

Answered by: Robert Tsigler

Criminal Law

If I Get Arrested Or Violate An Order Of Protection, How Does That Affect My Custody Case Or Divorce In New York?

If you are going through a divorce or child custody case, anything you do may factor into the judge’s final decision on the outcome. When one …

Answered by: Peter L. Cedeno

Criminal Law

What happens if I’m charged with a crime or given a ticket while visiting New Orleans, Louisiana?

New Orleans is a city like no other. Sometimes, the lack of rules that apply in other cities can lead visitors to think anything goes while they …

Answered by: Bradley S. Phillips


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 1.8785259723663 sec