What Should I Do If My Neighbor Sets Up A Sober Living Home In My California Neighborhood?

Sponsored Answer
Mark B. Wilson - Business Litigation - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Mark B. Wilson

Located in Newport Beach, CAKlein & Wilson

Newport Beach, CA
Phone: 949-478-0521
Fax: 949-631-3703

View Profile

Sober living homes have become a troublesome epidemic in much of the United States, especially in California. While some of these homes are well-run and arguably provide benefits to patients, many are scams designed to cheat insurance companies and the government.

A troublesome sober living home can be particularly disturbing to homeowners and families who live nearby. One such victim said at his deposition he felt he was living next to a never-ending fraternity party. There are numerous and complicated laws governing these businesses. While the law is still evolving, nuisance laws can still be used effectively to control the problems these homes create. Moreover, homeowners associations (HOA) that fail to act against unruly sober living homes face potential liability depending on the terms of the covenants, conditions and restrictions that the HOA must enforce. 

If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of living next to a sober living home, you need legal representation as soon as possible. Klein & Wilson has significant experience handling these disputes. If you live near a sober living home and have questions, call Klein & Wilson at 949-478-0521 and ask for Gerald Klein.


Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers By Mark B. Wilson

Photo of Mark B. Wilson

I Think My California Lawyer Committed Malpractice. What Can I Do About It?

Most attorneys care about their clients and diligently pursue their matters. Unfortunately, even careful attorneys sometimes make mistakes that have …

Sponsored answer by Mark B. Wilson

Photo of Mark B. Wilson

What Should I Do If The Managing Partner Of A California Business Is Dishonest?

Most partnerships work harmoniously but, on occasion, honest partners can be victimized by a dishonest managing partner. This problem is not limited …

Sponsored answer by Mark B. Wilson

Photo of Mark B. Wilson

What Should I Do If Another Company Infringes On My Trademark In California?

Trademarks can be a valuable company asset. Unscrupulous competitors may recognize the goodwill associated with a trademark and attempt to copy it or …

Sponsored answer by Mark B. Wilson

Other Answers About Real Estate

Photo of Daniel J. Kessler

I Have A Construction Dispute In California. What Can I Do?

Large-scale real estate projects can often result in disputes between the developer and contractor. For developers who are facing a construction …

Sponsored answer by Daniel J. Kessler

Photo of D. Michael Trainotti

How does the parent-child exclusion work with my business that owns real property in California?

The parent-child exclusion is a policy referring to the transfer of real estate and other property from parents to children. In practice, it means …

Sponsored answer by D. Michael Trainotti

Photo of Faisal Moghul

What can I do if a real estate seller lies or conceals a property defect in Virginia?

Purchasing a home may be one of the biggest investments of your life, if not the biggest. It can be devastating when you purchase a home and …

Sponsored answer by Faisal Moghul

Call Me

To: Mark B. Wilson

Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

Disclaimer »
Privacy Policy »
*Required fields
Page Generated: 1.1333229541779 sec