How do I get a guardianship or a conservatorship in Colorado?

Marco Chayet

Answered by:
Marco Chayet

Located in Denver, CO
Chayet & Danzo, LLC

Marco Chayet - Elder Law - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Marco Chayet

Chayet & Danzo, LLC
Denver, CO
Phone: 303-355-8500
Fax: 303-355-8501

View Profile

A guardianship case is started by the filing of a Petition for the Appointment of a Guardian for an Incapacitated Person by the petitioner in the place where the incapacitated person resides or is present. A conservatorship case is started by the filing of a Petition for the Appointment of Conservator by the petitioner in the place where the incapacitated person resides, or, if he or she does not reside in Colorado, any place where he or she has property. Typically, the two petitions are filed at the same time. However, it is not unusual to file only for one or the other or to file the actions at different times, depending on the facts of the case.

A physician's letter, setting forth the alleged incapacitated person's medical circumstances and the need for a guardianship and/or conservatorship, is required. If the petitioner cannot procure such a letter, the court has the authority to order an evaluation of the incapacitated person. A Return of Service, indicating that the alleged incapacitated person has been personally served with the notice and the petition, and a Certificate of Mailing, indicating that the other appropriate individuals have received notice, must be filed with the court prior to the hearing. Once the hearing has been held and the court has determined that the appointment is appropriate, Orders are signed by the judge and the probate registrar issues Letters, which are the documents used by the guardian and conservator to evidence his or her authority to act on behalf of the protected person. For more answers, please contact [email protected].

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers By Marco Chayet

Probate & Estate Administration

What Are the Duties of a Colorado Personal Representative or Trustee?

In Colorado, five appointments or roles carry fiduciary duties. They are: Power of attorneyConservatorGuardianTrusteePersonal …

Answered by: Marco Chayet

Elder Law

What kind of estate planning do I need in Colorado?

Wills in addition to General Financial Powers of Attorney and Medical Durable Powers of Attorney (POA) are highly recommended estate planning …

Answered by: Marco Chayet

Elder Law

How does probate work for an estate in Colorado?

Probate is the legal process under which an estate is established to disperse the decedent's assets through his or her Will, or …

Answered by: Marco Chayet

Other Answers About Elder Law

Elder Law

Can I Sue An Assisted Living Facility For Elder Abuse In Florida?

Yes, you can sue an assisted living facility (ALF) when the staff’s abuse or negligence cause harm to an elderly resident. From physical …

Answered by: William A. Dean

Elder Law

Can I Get Power of Attorney in California For My Parents If They Can’t Make Decisions?

The simple answer is no. If California, your parents can name you as their Agent under a Power of Attorney, but you cannot get it unless they give it …

Answered by: Sibylle Grebe

Elder Law

Can I sue for elder financial abuse in California?

Suing for financial elder abuse requires first that the claimant is in a legal position to make a claim — he or she must have standing to sue. …

Answered by: Kimberly D. Neilson


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.73632287979126 sec