What kind of estate planning do I need in Colorado?

Marco Chayet

Answered by:
Marco Chayet

Located in Denver, CO
Chayet & Danzo, LLC

View Profile


Wills in addition to General Financial Powers of Attorney and Medical Durable Powers of Attorney (POA) are highly recommended estate planning documents. Additionally, individuals may choose to execute CPR directives or purchase Long-Term Care insurance from their respective health care provider and insurance agent.

A Will is a legal document that allows for the distribution of your property upon your death. Wills can come in many different forms, from very complex that have different trusts for tax planning purposes to simple. Each Will should be tailored for the client's individual needs and Form Wills should be avoided. You should review your Will every time there is a significant change in your family or financial situation.

A General Financial POA is a document which allows you to appoint an agent to act on your behalf and take any legal and financial action you would take. It is Durable because it continues to be valid even after you become incapacitated. If you are incapacitated, a Durable POA is crucial, because it allows your agent to pay your bills, manage your assets and generally attend to your affairs.

A Medical POA appoints an agent to speak for you regarding medical treatment decisions when you cannot do so for yourself. These have much wider application than Living Wills because they are more flexible and you can set forth your wishes regarding quality of life issues. Most elder law attorneys prefer the Medical POA to a Living Will because current legislation requires less comprehensive Living Wills to "trump" Medical POA's agent authority. For more answers, contact

Answered 11/12/2013

Disclaimer: This answer was provided by an attorney selected to Super Lawyers, and is intended to be an educated opinion only. This answer should not be relied upon as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers By This Lawyer

Elder Law

How does probate work for an estate in Colorado?

Probate is the legal process under which an estate is established to disperse the decedent's assets through his or her Will, or …

Answered by: Marco Chayet, 4 years ago

Elder Law

How do I get a guardianship or a conservatorship in Colorado?

A guardianship case is started by the filing of a Petition for the Appointment of a Guardian for an Incapacitated Person by the petitioner in the …

Answered by: Marco Chayet, 4 years ago

Other Answers About Elder Law

Elder Law

What Constitutes Undue Influence in California?

How do older adults in California make decisions about important financial issues and healthcare matters? And when should we worry that they may have …

Answered by: Jeffrey Forer, 12 months ago

Elder Law

Has Someone You Know in California Been a Victim of Elder Abuse?

When you have an elderly loved one who cannot live on his or her own any longer, it can be frustrating to question whether they’re receiving …

Answered by: Jeffrey Forer, 12 months ago

Elder Law

In Connecticut, if I leave any part of my estate to my disabled son, he will lose his Medicaid financial eligibility. Should I leave my son’s share of my estate to my daughter with instructions for her to “take care of your brother”?

No. If your daughter is sued, files for divorce, files for bankruptcy or becomes seriously ill, the funds will quickly dissipate with no protection …

Answered by: Linnea J. Levine, 3 years ago


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.66383695602417 sec