When can I sue for wrongful death in Connecticut?

Sponsored Answer
James G. Williams - State, Local & Municipal - Super Lawyers

Answered by: James G. Williams

Williams, Walsh & O'Connor, LLC
North Haven, CT
Phone: 203-285-3593
Fax: 203-234-6330

View Profile

Losing a loved one because of a fatal accident is stressful and painful for anyone. If someone else’s negligence caused that accident, the wound can be that much more distressing. To figure out if a wrongful death case exists, consider whether the decedent could have brought a personal injury claim against the negligent party, had he or she survived. In Connecticut, only the representative of your loved one’s estate can sue for compensation in these cases.

Compensation may depend on many factors and cover damages such as loss of the ability to engage in and enjoy life’s activities, medical bills, funeral expenses, loss of companionship, and pain and suffering. If your family has lost a significant wage earner, that may also be taken into account. We recommend you meet with a personal injury attorney experienced in wrongful death cases to receive advice about the specifics of your case.

Timing Is Critical

Bringing a lawsuit may be the furthest thing from your mind at the time of the death, but you cannot wait for too long if you want to sue. Connecticut’s wrongful death statute, located at Connecticut General Statute § 52-555, allows for a two-year statute of limitations. That means you must bring the suit within two years from the date of death. In addition, if the negligent act resulted in an illness or injury that caused the death some years later, you only have five years from the negligent act to bring the lawsuit. Therefore, you may want to speak with an attorney sooner, rather than later, in order to start the process and secure your legal rights.

Know Who To Sue

Wrongful death suits may result from many types of accidents and injuries. Your first step in deciding how to pursue a case is to figure out who is responsible for the fatal accident. Of course, that will depend on the type of accident. For an automobile accident, the other driver could be responsible, but it could also be from a dangerous road condition because of negligence on the part of the city. If a medical professional committed malpractice that led to the death, you may sue the doctor or hospital. Work-related injuries, such as a fall at a construction site, may go through the workers’ compensation system, but may also involve a third-party lawsuit, depending on the situation.

Any negligent act that results in a fatality can give rise to a wrongful death suit. An experienced personal injury attorney will help you analyze your case to find the correct party to bring your suit against, whether that party is a person, a company or a government entity. In addition, if the party acted in a malicious way or with a reckless disregard for the safety of others, you may be able to sue for punitive damages. That means the damages do not directly compensate you for a loss but instead are meant to punish the other party for their actions.

A wrongful death lawsuit cannot change what has happened to your loved one or your family, but it can help compensate you for financial expenses and some of the emotional pain your family must face moving forward. If you think someone else’s negligence, or even intentional act, caused the death of your loved one, speak with an attorney to find out what you must do to pursue the compensation your family deserves.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers By James G. Williams

Medical Malpractice

When Can I Sue For Medical Malpractice in Connecticut?

When you go to a doctor for medical care, you put your trust, and your health, in their hands. Doctors and other medical personnel have a huge …

Sponsored answer by James G. Williams

Motor Vehicle Accidents

Why should I call a lawyer after an automobile accident in Connecticut?

People across Connecticut get into car accidents every day. Some accidents are more serious than others, and sometimes people aren’t sure if …

Sponsored answer by James G. Williams

Other Answers About Personal Injury - Plaintiff

Personal Injury - Plaintiff

What kinds of compensation can injury victims get in Florida?

After an accident in Florida, there are a number of different types of compensation a victim and his or her family can seek to make up for pain and …

Sponsored answer by Stefano Portigliatti

Personal Injury - Plaintiff

What are the personal injury damage caps in Louisiana?

If you are seriously injured, there are no caps to the damages you can recover in most cases. Building your case to prove all of your damages is an …

Sponsored answer by Walter Marshall Sanchez

Personal Injury - Plaintiff

Why should I seek legal advice before accepting an insurance settlement in Georgia?

You should always seek the advice of an attorney as soon as possible after suffering bodily injury and certainly before you decide whether to accept …

Sponsored answer by John A. Dickerson


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.94664597511292 sec