Can you get kicked out of college for being arrested in Florida?

Jude M. Faccidomo - Criminal Defense - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Jude M. Faccidomo

Ratzan & Faccidomo, LLC
Miami, FL
Phone: 305-374-5730
Fax: 305-374-6755

View Profile

Unfortunately the answer is yes. College students need to be aware of the many pitfalls that can confront them upon an arrest -- even if it is off-campus. Not only can you be disciplined by the college or university, but you can also potentially lose your student financial aid and your student housing. There are many collateral consequences to a student's arrest that it becomes important for your attorney to work not only on the criminal case, but also to handle the parallel proceedings that will occur at your college or university. Almost every student arrest will coincide with a disciplinary action by the Dean of Student Affairs at your college or university. While many of these proceedings do not require counsel in the circumstance of an on- or off-campus arrest (especially for drugs), it is imperative that your criminal defense counsel be a part of the process from its inception. You have too much to lose. Even if you manage to remain in school, it will likely be under some sort of probationary status and if grad school or other accelerated degrees are in your future, your transcripts and/or disciplinary file may be negatively affected. 

It is hard enough to navigate the minefield of the criminal justice system, but when you add school administrative disciplinary actions to it, it is simply too much for you to go it alone. Make sure your attorney knows that you are a student and is aware of all grants, loans and financial aid you receive and that your attorney is knowledgeable and familiar with the college or university that you attend. Your future may depend on it.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers About Criminal Law

Criminal Law

If I Get Arrested Or Violate An Order Of Protection, How Does That Affect My Custody Case Or Divorce In New York?

If you are going through a divorce or child custody case, anything you do may factor into the judge’s final decision on the outcome. When one …

Answered by: Peter L. Cedeno

Criminal Law

What happens if I’m charged with a crime or given a ticket while visiting New Orleans, Louisiana?

New Orleans is a city like no other. Sometimes, the lack of rules that apply in other cities can lead visitors to think anything goes while they …

Answered by: Bradley S. Phillips

Criminal Law

Can I go to jail for fraud in South Carolina?

The short answer is that, yes, jail or prison is absolutely a possibility. Both state and federal authorities take financially based fraud very …

Answered by: Ryan L. Beasley


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.65739989280701 sec