Can I mediate a high-asset divorce in Georgia?

Sponsored Answer
William M. Ordway - Family Law - Super Lawyers

Answered by: William M. Ordway

Ordway Law Group, LLC
Atlanta, GA
Phone: 6785790985
Fax: 678-579-0989

View Profile

Yes, you can mediate a high-asset divorce in Georgia. Mediation is often a better option than litigation. There are several reasons for this: you know what you want more than a judge would, litigation for these types of cases can be extremely expensive, mediation can help you achieve an outcome closer to a 50-50 split and you can mediate more than once if needed, unlike with litigation. Let me explain further:

1. Mediation can allow you to achieve your preferences more easily than litigation.

In a typical divorce court proceeding, the judge will divide your property. This can cause difficulty because the judge won’t know or consider things like your preference for one asset over another, or even generalities, like if you would prefer liquid assets over real estate. In mediation, both parties can compromise, and ideally, both parties will leave satisfied with their assets.

2. Divorce litigation can take a long time and become expensive.

Any lengthy legal process can become costly, and divorce court is no different. If you have to divide a complicated marital estate in court, it can take a long time, racking up your bills. With mediation, you have to pay the mediator as well as any other experts you need, such as a forensic accountant, but it can make the process much quicker, saving you money in the long run.

3. Mediation can help you achieve closer to a 50-50 split.

Georgia is an equitable distribution state. This means that in a court scenario, the judge will try to divide things fairly, rather than strictly equally. Though this can coincide with a split that is close to equal, it’s not guaranteed. If that matters to you, mediation is a better option because you have more input on the process.

4. You can mediate more than once.

There is no do-over in court. In some cases, you can apply for a modification of things like child and spousal support, but division of assets is final. However, with mediation, you can continue the process as necessary, or mediate more than once. You can also reach a settlement before you go to court.

Mediation Takes The Tension Out Of Division Of Assets

Sometimes, people think mediation is an option only when the divorce is amicable. This is a common misconception. Mediation is perfect for contentious situations. Usually, the parties don’t even sit together. They’re in separate rooms and their respective lawyers are guiding them, while the mediator (a neutral third party) relays information. When it comes to the discovery of assets, it is best to hire a forensic accountant to evaluate assets rather than relying on the parties’ own disclosure. This, too, can minimize conflict between the parties, though some people still try to hide assets, which can make the process longer and more expensive.

Overall, if both parties are transparent with their assets, and willing to make compromises, mediation can make this difficult process quick and relatively painless.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers About Divorce


How Do I Choose The Best Divorce Attorney In Orlando, Florida?

For many people, a divorce is the first time they have ever had to hire a lawyer. They struggle to find the right questions to ask because they have …

Sponsored answer by Patrick Meriwether


Do I need grounds to file for divorce in New York?

After years of insisting that a person filing for divorce have grounds (such as infidelity, cruelty, etc.) to dissolve their marriage, the state of …

Sponsored answer by Luis Andrew Penichet


How do I get divorced in New Jersey?

The first step in the process is hiring a law firm that has attorneys experienced in family law. Whether or not you have children, …

Sponsored answer by Silvana Raso


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.78897094726562 sec