How Can A Lawyer Assist Me In Georgia’s Probate Process?

Sponsored Answer
Robert Hughes, Jr. - Estate & Trust Litigation - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Robert Hughes, Jr.

Located in Lawrenceville, GARobert W. Hughes & Associates, PC

Phone: 770-469-8887
Fax: 678-680-6095

View Profile


Probate is the process of obtaining probate court approval to open an estate, collect assets, pay bills and distribute the remaining property to the heirs or beneficiaries. If a person dies with a will, the probate court must first accept or reject the will as the true Last Will of the Decedent (the person who died). If you die without a will, you are said to have died intestate. In Georgia, probate is not complicated, but it can be tricky. A lawyer can help you manage the process effectively.


You have several important details to handle before the probate court appoints you as the Executor (if the decedent died with a will) or Administrator (if the decedent died without a will). You must make sure the correct forms are filed. Along with filing the correct form is the obligation to notify the heirs. You must know who the heirs are. After you are appointed Executor or Administrator, you must ensure that deadlines are met, debts are paid and that the beneficiaries or heirs receive their rightful inheritance. A probate lawyer can help you manage those details and ensure they are properly taken care of.


The executor or administrator is personally responsible for ensuring the process is carried out properly. They will oversee the probate or handling of the estate. The court takes this appointment very seriously as the executor or administrator is personally responsible if the creditors, heirs and beneficiaries do not get what they are legally entitled to get.

The executor’s and administrator’s responsibilities include:

  • Asset collection, protection and valuation
  • Inventory of the decedent’s assets
  • Paying debts/taxes
  • Selling assets if money is needed to pay bills/debts
  • Distributing the property according to the will or state inheritance laws

Only assets without a joint owner or beneficiary designation go through the probate process. the most common assets not going through probate are life insurance proceeds, land owned as joint tenants with rights of survivorship and jointly owned bank accounts.


Just about everything in the probate process begins with a form and knowing which form to use can be half the battle. Most forms have simple questions like “who died?” Others can be far more complicated.

Do you know who you are identifying on the forms as the next of kin? What if the decedent is married with children? What if the decedent had a son or daughter who predeceased the decedent, but that person had children? It can be far more complicated than most people realize.

A lawyer can help you understand the documents and how to file them correctly. If they are not completed correctly, the court could reject them, and you might have to start the process from the beginning. Probate usually takes six months from when you are appointed.  Often, it takes longer if assets need to be sold and taxes need to be filed or paid.

It is not uncommon for people who try to get through the process on their own to fail at some step along the way.  You are wasting precious time when petitions to the court are rejected time and again. Houses sit vacant. Bank accounts miss investment opportunities. Bills go unpaid and assets are repossessed. Often, they then hire an attorney to right the ship, as many issues involved in probate court are not as straightforward as they seem.


Hiring a lawyer to help you manage the probate process effectively can help you get through the process as smoothly, and quickly, as possible.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers About Probate & Estate Administration

Photo of Robert W. York

What are the grounds to challenge a trust or will in Indiana?

An interested person may challenge a will or trust in Indiana if they can show a legal basis that the estate …

Sponsored answer by Robert W. York

Photo of John Farina

Can you bring a claim in Florida to challenge wrongdoing by a trustee or executor?

The simple answer to this question is yes.Personal representatives or executors have a fiduciary duty to act in …

Sponsored answer by John Farina

Call Me

To: Robert Hughes, Jr.

Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

*Required fields


The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The use of the internet or this contact form for communication is not necessarily a secure environment. Contacting a lawyer or law firm email through this service will not create an attorney-client relationship, and information will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.

Page Generated: 1.0799648761749 sec