Under the Illinois Workers' Compensation Act, does my employer have to take me back to work after my doctor releases me from medical care due to a work-related accident?

Sponsored Answer
Arnold G. Rubin - Workers' Compensation - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Arnold G. Rubin

Located in Chicago, ILRubin Law Group, Ltd.

Chicago, IL
Phone: 312-899-8333
Fax: 312-899-8141

View Profile

No, your employer does not have to provide you with employment after you are released by your doctor.  However, if your doctor releases you to return to work with permanent restrictions and your employer does not, or is unable to, accommodate the restrictions, you may be entitled to vocational rehabilitation services.  These services could include, but are not limited to, conducting a job search, receiving retraining in another job field, participating in computer classes or participating in an educational program.  During the period that you are participating in vocational rehabilitation, you are entitled to receive weekly maintenance benefits in the same amount as your temporary total disability benefits.


(Disclaimer: The above information is not intended to be legal advice.  The answer may change based on certain circumstances, such as, but not limited to:  1) whether the injured worker has applied for any federal or state leave; 2) whether the employee has applied for leave through the employer; or 3) whether there is an employment or union contract in effect.  You should contact an attorney to discuss the specific facts and circumstances of your situation).  

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers About Workers' Compensation

Photo of Donald A. Caminiti

What benefits can a lawyer help me obtain in a New Jersey workers’ compensation claim?

When you suffer an injury at work, your financial picture can become cloudy. With uncertainty about your ability …

Sponsored answer by Donald A. Caminiti

Photo of T. Andrew Miller

Can I Get Workers’ Compensation In Georgia After I’ve Been Fired?

Fortunately, if you have a valid workers’ compensation case, you are entitled to benefits. Your current job …

Sponsored answer by T. Andrew Miller

Photo of Michael J. Epstein

Do I Need A Lawyer For A Workers’ Compensation Case In New Jersey?

After an injury at work, you may have several concerns. You may wonder how to obtain medical care and who will pay …

Sponsored answer by Michael J. Epstein

Call Me

To: Arnold G. Rubin

Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

Disclaimer »
Privacy Policy »
*Required fields
Page Generated: 1.2380120754242 sec