Do I need a Louisiana attorney if I'm hurt working offshore?

Joseph F. Gaar, Jr.

Answered by:
Joseph F. Gaar, Jr.

Located in Lafayette, LA
The Gaar Law Firm

View Profile


If you are hurt working offshore, either on an oil platform, jack up drilling rig, crew boat, barge, or other type of specialty vessel or structure, the laws of Louisiana and the United States will affect you differently than if you are hurt on land.

Some differences are that a "Jones Act" seaman can file a lawsuit against his or her employer to achieve a greater recovery of damages than, say, a worker who is hurt doing the same or a similar job on land. Workers who are "permanently assigned" to a "vessel" may be Jones Act seaman. Another difference is that a seaman can recover for the negligence of a co-worker, whereas other injured workers cannot, and their only remedy will be workers' compensation.

The courts have also interpreted what constitutes a "vessel" differently as well. Workers hurt on a fixed platform may be entitled to federal workers' compensation, which pays more than state workers' compensation. However, these workers cannot sue a co-worker for his or her negligence.

The laws, as they relate to workers injured offshore, are very complicated. Most attorneys do not handle these types of cases on a regular basis because they are unfamiliar with the laws relating to offshore injuries. That is why it is extremely important to contact an attorney who specializes in offshore accidents. Our office handles a large number of maritime and offshore cases, and we regularly file and try these types of cases in Federal and State Court. So if you have been injured in the Gulf of Mexico or on the water, either on a vessel, barge, platform, dock or working offshore, please contact our office for professional advice on what to do.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers By This Lawyer

Motor Vehicle Accidents

Do I need a Louisiana attorney if I'm hurt in a trucking accident?

Due to their size and speed, trucks cause the most devastating accidents on the road. Whether the cause is poor road conditions, speeding or pure …

Answered by: Joseph F. Gaar, Jr.

Other Answers About Personal Injury - Plaintiff

Personal Injury - Plaintiff

Can an illegal alien sue in New York?

The short answer is YES.Accidents happen to many. Accidents do not discriminate based on nationality or immigration status. If you are an illegal …

Answered by: Ian M. Chaikin

Personal Injury - Plaintiff

In California, What Should I Look For In A Lawyer Handling Serious Injury Cases?

I’ve been taking on the most serious injury cases for 20 years, and I can tell you from personal experience that the lawyer you choose to …

Answered by: Michael E. Gatto

Personal Injury - Plaintiff

Can I Sue An Uninsured Driver In Florida?

Yes, you can sue an uninsured driver in Florida, but collecting on a favorable judgment may be difficult. Your attorney will have to explore the …

Answered by: Jeffrey S. Hirsh


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.16076993942261 sec