What do I do if I’m injured at work in Louisiana?

Sponsored Answer
Robert L. Campbell - Personal Injury - General - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Robert L. Campbell

Located in Baton Rouge, LAWilliamson Fontenot Campbell & Whittington, LLC

Baton Rouge, LA
Phone: 225-234-0838
Fax: 225-383-4114

View Profile

After being injured at work, there are three steps you should take, starting immediately. First, seek medical attention. Then, report the incident to your supervisor. Lastly, make sure to follow up with your doctor. These steps will ensure that you’re set up in the best possible way to protect yourself. However, they are not always simple. Let’s go into a few more things to remember. 

  1. Seek medical attention. Don’t hold off on this even if you think the injury is minor. You can seek medical attention just by asking your supervisor for first aid care.
  2. Report to your supervisor or safety team that you were injured. You should do this in writing, including details like exactly how, when and where you were injured. Keep a copy of your message as well as the response you get – these messages can make a huge difference in your case if you need to pursue legal action.
  3. Follow up with a doctor of your choice. Under Louisiana law, your employer must allow you to see your own choice of doctor, not force you to see their doctor.

From there, if your injuries do not subside and you need to talk with an attorney about getting workers’ compensation benefits, you’ll be well-prepared to make your case for compensation that can cover medical expenses, lost wages and more.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers About Workers' Compensation

Photo of Michael J. Epstein

Do I Need A Lawyer For A Workers’ Compensation Case In New Jersey?

After an injury at work, you may have several concerns. You may wonder how to obtain medical care and who will pay for it, how you will be paid while …

Sponsored answer by Michael J. Epstein

Photo of Frederick E. Kaiser

What Types Of Benefits Can I Recover Under Minnesota Workers’ Compensation?

Many people are unaware of the types of benefits recoverable under Minnesota’s worker’s compensation programs. These programs are meant …

Sponsored answer by Frederick E. Kaiser

Photo of Philip J. Fulton

What If I Receive Notice Of Terminated Workers’ Compensation Benefits In Ohio?

The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (OBWC) is generally the governing body through which most injured workers in Ohio are paid benefits …

Sponsored answer by Philip J. Fulton

Call Me

To: Robert L. Campbell

Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

Disclaimer »
Privacy Policy »
*Required fields
Page Generated: 0.72637915611267 sec