How do I get divorced in New Jersey?

Silvana Raso

Answered by:
Silvana Raso

Located in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
Schepisi & McLaughlin, P.A.

Silvana Raso - Family Law - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Silvana Raso

Schepisi & McLaughlin, P.A.
Englewood Cliffs, NJ
Phone: 201-569-9898
Fax: 201-569-5350

View Profile

The first step in the process is hiring a law firm that has attorneys experienced in family law. Whether or not you have children, there are many issues other than child custody that have to be handled before a divorce can be entered by the court. For example, you should be aware of your rights with regard to visitation, parenting time, child support, alimony, division of property and assets, as well as division of debt. For example, there may be property that is not included in the "marital estate" and is not subject to what is referred to as equitable distribution. Likewise, there may be assets and income of your spouse that should be included in the marital estate but that your spouse is hiding or is claiming are excluded. You should also get advice to make sure that your spouse's debts are not your responsibility after divorce. Failing to be aware of these issues will prevent you from obtaining a fair outcome or settlement of your case. Once a case is settled or decided, it is very difficult to go back to court to change a settlement or a court ruling. Therefore, getting a lawyer who can advise you at the onset is crucial to making sure your rights are protected and that you get what you are entitled to. An experienced divorce attorney can help you navigate the process to make sure that your rights are protected but that the process is also cost-efficient for you. Your divorce lawyer can also explain that there are many avenues available to those getting divorced, which allow them to use less acrimonious and less costly alternatives to litigation. 

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers About Divorce


How are stock rights divided in a Colorado divorce?

Stock and equity awards, such as options, restricted stock, restricted stock units, phantom stock and stock appreciation rights, are a form of …

Answered by: Kristi Anderson Wells


Can I mediate a high-asset divorce in Georgia?

Yes, you can mediate a high-asset divorce in Georgia. Mediation is often a better option than litigation. There are several reasons for this: you …

Answered by: William M. Ordway


How do I get or keep my fair share in my Virginia divorce?

Getting divorced is never fun, but it can be even more stressful if you are concerned about the fairness of the division of assets. You’ve …

Answered by: Joseph A. Sanzone


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.6989529132843 sec