How can I protect my assets from the cost of Long Term Care in New York?

Anthony J. Enea - Elder Law - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Anthony J. Enea

Enea, Scanlan & Sirignano, LLP
White Plains, NY
Phone: 914-948-1500
Fax: 914-948-9316

View Profile


Many clients are concerned about how they can protect their assets, in the event that they need home care or care in a Nursing Home setting.  As nursing homes and home health aides can be very expensive, it is important that a client consider the options available to them.  One of the planning options available in order to preserve one’s home, stocks, cash, etc. is to transfer said assets to an Irrevocable Medicaid Asset Protection Trust.  The transfer of any assets to the Irrevocable Medicaid Asset Protection Trust creates an ineligibility period of five years (60 months) for nursing home Medicaid in New York.  However, after the five years has passed, the property is not considered an available resource for Medicaid purposes and is protected from the cost of long term care if one was to begin receiving Medicaid benefits. It is recommended that someone looking to protect their assets speak to an attorney practicing Elder Law in their State.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers By This Lawyer

Estate Planning

When should I execute a Last Will and Testament in New York?

A Last Will and Testament controls how assets (real property, tangible personal property) in your name alone on the date of your death are to be …

Answered by: Anthony J. Enea

Elder Law

What is a Power of Attorney in New York and why do I need one?

A Power of Attorney (“POA”) is a written document wherein one individual (“Principal”) appoints another individual(s) as his …

Answered by: Anthony J. Enea

Other Answers About Elder Law

Elder Law

Can I Sue An Assisted Living Facility For Elder Abuse In Florida?

Yes, you can sue an assisted living facility (ALF) when the staff’s abuse or negligence cause harm to an elderly resident. From physical …

Answered by: William A. Dean

Elder Law

Can I Get Power of Attorney in California For My Parents If They Can’t Make Decisions?

The simple answer is no. If California, your parents can name you as their Agent under a Power of Attorney, but you cannot get it unless they give it …

Answered by: Sibylle Grebe

Elder Law

Can I sue for elder financial abuse in California?

Suing for financial elder abuse requires first that the claimant is in a legal position to make a claim — he or she must have standing to sue. …

Answered by: Kimberly D. Neilson


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 1.3134708404541 sec