Will New York State take my home and my other assets before I can qualify for Medicaid to pay for a nursing home or home care?

Felicia Pasculli

Answered by:
Felicia Pasculli

Located in Smithtown, NY
Futterman, Lanza & Pasculli, LLP

Felicia Pasculli - Elder Law - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Felicia Pasculli

Futterman, Lanza & Pasculli, LLP
Smithtown, NY

Fax: 631-979-9546

View Profile

The greatest concern expressed by my clients is whether or not they will outlive their money, particularly when it comes to paying for nursing home care. Many times they are under the misconception that their regular coverage, such as Medicare, will pay for long-term care at home or in a facility. Although Medicare and other health insurance will often pay for limited stays at a facility for skilled needs or rehabilitation, they will not pay for permanent long-term care. The only private insurance that pays for such care is long-term care insurance, which very few people have acquired, either because of its expense, or because they were denied the coverage due to their health histories.

The only insurance that pays for such long-term care is Medicaid. In NY, an applicant for Medicaid cannot own more than $14,400.00 in assets (bank accounts, annuities, cash value of life insurance policies, etc.), and, if being cared for at home, keep approximately $800.00 of monthly income. If the Medicaid recipient is at home, the home is not counted. If the Medicaid recipient is in a nursing home, all of his or her income, except for a $50.00 per month allowance, is required to be contributed to his or her care. Often, the conclusion that nursing home care, or 24-hour home care is necessary, is presented suddenly to the patient and/or family, before a hospital discharge. If the patient is in a hospital, discharge planning to a facility or home is done within a 48-hour period, giving the family very little time to explore options, or even knowledge as to the quality of nursing homes or care agencies.

Families are usually under the misconception that these medical providers are obligated to inform them of ways to qualify for Medicaid. The reality is that such information is considered legal advice and cannot be disseminated by the facilities or doctors. It is imperative either before such an event, or prior, to seek the advice of an elder law attorney. NY offers many options in order to qualify patients for Medicaid. If the person in need of care has a spouse or a dependent or disabled child, virtually all assets can be preserved, and income maximized to assist the household.

Even in situations where the Medicaid applicant has no spouse and has not done any planning, with the assistance of an elder law attorney, it is still possible to preserve assets to enhance the quality of the patient's life and to leave assets to beneficiaries.   

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers About Elder Law

Elder Law

What kind of estate planning do I need in Colorado?

Wills in addition to General Financial Powers of Attorney and Medical Durable Powers of Attorney (POA) are highly recommended estate planning …

Sponsored answer by: Marco Chayet

Elder Law

How does probate work for an estate in Colorado?

Probate is the legal process under which an estate is established to disperse the decedent's assets through his or her Will, or …

Sponsored answer by: Marco Chayet

Elder Law

How do I get a guardianship or a conservatorship in Colorado?

A guardianship case is started by the filing of a Petition for the Appointment of a Guardian for an Incapacitated Person by the petitioner in the …

Sponsored answer by: Marco Chayet


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.90231609344482 sec