Can I sue after my car accident in Ohio?

Sponsored Answer
Chad M. Tuschman - Personal Injury - General - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Chad M. Tuschman

Located in Toledo, OHWilliams DeClark Tuschman Co., L.P.A.

Toledo, OH
Phone: 419-241-7700
Fax: 419-241-7778

View Profile

Yes. You can always sue after a car accident. The question becomes whether you want to. Depending on the severity of your injuries, the insurance company will try to minimize your settlement or even deny it entirely. At that point, an experienced car accident attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve. 

Insurance Companies Don’t Have Your Best Interests In Mind 

Insurance companies have spent decades portraying themselves as your friend, a dependable ally who will be there for you when you need them. However, the reality is that insurance companies are mostly concerned with maximizing their own profits. The way they do this is by denying the claims of people who have been injured, even when the insurance company knows that their injuries deserve more. People often don’t realize that they’ve been taken advantage of until it’s too late.

How To Maximize Your Settlement 

To ensure that you get the compensation you deserve, you need to be vigilant. Keep these things in mind in the days following your accident: 

  • Don’t talk to an insurance company — the other driver’s or your own — without speaking with an attorney first.
    Once they hear about an accident, an insurance company will call and attempt to get a statement from you. Don’t give it to them. While it may seem harmless, what they’re actually doing is trying to get you to undermine your own injury claim. They will twist your words, ask misleading questions and try to trip you up. Don’t fall for it.
  • Get the medical help you need right away.
    After a car accident, it’s always a good idea to see a doctor as soon as possible, even if your injuries don’t seem that serious. Insurance companies will point to any delay in medical treatment as a reason for dismissing your injury claim. Not only is seeing a doctor smart from a medical perspective, but it’s also your best legal move .
  • Document, document, document.
    When it comes to documentation, no amount is too much. Take pictures of the crash scene, photograph the surrounding environment, keep a journal about your injury, get contact information for witnesses and anything else you can think of. All of this will help you during a lawsuit 

Get An Attorney As Soon As Possible

If you’re considering a lawsuit after your car accident, the most important thing you can do is to contact an experienced attorney right away. Certain kinds of evidence are only available for a short time after an accident, and insurance companies will do everything they can to suppress it or get to it first. You need an advocate by your side to counter their efforts and defend your best interests. Especially when serious injuries are involved, that’s the only way you can hope to get justice.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers About Motor Vehicle Accidents

Photo of Lee Anthony Ciccarelli

Who pays for medical bills after a car accident in Pennsylvania?

You may be thinking who will pay for your medical bills after you have been injured in a car accident.  The …

Sponsored answer by Lee Anthony Ciccarelli

Photo of Anthony Carbone

What happens if I was a passenger in an Uber or Lyft accident in New Jersey?

We hope for a safe and smooth ride when we pay for a ride-sharing experience. At their worst, accidents in an Uber …

Sponsored answer by Anthony Carbone

Photo of Gregory J. Bubalo

Should I settle with my insurance company after a car wreck in Kentucky?

Following a car wreck, it is in your best interest to wait and contact a lawyer before you settle with an …

Sponsored answer by Gregory J. Bubalo

Call Me

To: Chad M. Tuschman

Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

Disclaimer »
Privacy Policy »
*Required fields
Page Generated: 0.9655659198761 sec