What damages can I sue for after losing a family member to a fatal accident or injury in Ohio?

View Profile


If a close relative of yours died as a result of the negligence, dangerous conduct or wrongdoing of someone else, you may be able to get compensation in a wrongful death claim. Ohio law allows certain family members to recover for loss of income and financial support, as well as for medical expenses and the grief suffered from losing a loved one. 

To make a successful claim, however, it is important to conduct an immediate investigation to determine what happened, as well as to document and preserve evidence. A law firm experienced in these investigations can help you take the necessary steps, using appropriate experts. 

How a Wrongful Death Action Gets Started 

Under section 2125 of the Ohio Revised Statutes, wrongful death claims are technically initiated by the executor of the deceased person’s estate. The claims are brought on behalf of the estate and of family members, who can include a spouse, children and parents of the person who died. In some cases, claims on behalf of siblings or other surviving family members are also possible. 

Causes of wrongful death can include medical malpractice; car, truck and motorcycle accidents; workplace accidents; and dangerous or defective products or medical devices.

Regardless of the cause of death, prompt and thorough investigation is critical in gathering and preserving the evidence to make a claim. If the death seems to have been the result of medical mistakes, this means using medical experts to evaluate what happened. Similarly, in a fatal car crash, accident reconstruction specialists can analyze the crash scene using scientific techniques.

A law firm with the resources to call upon such experts is a great asset in assessing whether you have a viable claim and helping you to assert your rights. 

Types Of Compensation Available 

Damage awards in wrongful death cases are made up of several different parts. These include medical expenses, lost income and support, and the grief and anguish from the loss of the relationship with the family member. 

When a family breadwinner has died, wrongful death claims often involve especially large damages. The services of a vocational economist may be necessary to fully evaluate the economic impact of the death on your family. For a parent in the prime of life, this impact can easily run into millions of dollars, based on what the deceased would have earned over the course of his or her life. 

It is critically important, however, to take immediate action to investigate your potential case immediately. If you don’t, evidence can be lost and time limits on bringing a legal action may come into play. 

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers By This Lawyer

Medical Malpractice

How do I know whether I have a case for medical malpractice in Ohio?

Determining whether you have a medical malpractice claim requires rigorous investigation to evaluate whether medical professionals were at fault. …

Answered by: Gerald S. Leeseberg

Personal Injury - Plaintiff

How do I know whether I have a personal injury claim in Ohio?

If you were injured by the negligence or wrongdoing of another, you have a right to bring a compensation claim for your injuries. It’s best to …

Answered by: Gerald S. Leeseberg

Other Answers About Wrongful Death

Wrongful Death

What does it mean that someone’s death was a “wrongful death” in Texas?

People often assume that wrongful death means that someone died in an accident. And this is true, but what many people don’t realize is that …

Answered by: Robert C. Hilliard

Wrongful Death

Who Can Sue For Wrongful Death After An Arizona Car Crash?

A fatal car accident is always a tragic event. Its effects are far-reaching, impacting everyone who knew the deceased individual. He or she may have …

Answered by: David C. Shapiro

Wrongful Death

Can I Sue For A Wrongful Death In Florida?

Yes in many cases. Losing a loved one in a wrongful death in Florida may be devastating and incredibly overwhelming. When someone dies in a fatal …

Answered by: Jason Turchin


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.70538401603699 sec