Can I sue a city or the state for a personal injury in Pennsylvania?

Sponsored Answer
Lee Anthony Ciccarelli - Personal Injury - General - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Lee Anthony Ciccarelli

Located in West Chester, PACiccarelli Law Offices

Phone: 215-600-4766
Fax: 484-731-1440

View Profile

While the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and local governments enjoy some protection under a law known as sovereign immunity, you do have the right to sue the state, municipalities and government agencies, such as the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA), for injuries caused by their negligence.

What is Sovereign Immunity?

After the American Revolution, our country adopted many of the traditions and policies of the British government. One of those is sovereign immunity. This is a judicial doctrine. It prevents the government and its agencies, departments and political wings from being sued without consent. It is part of an old English idea that the monarchy is never wrong.

Our early courts supported that view. Due to this, if someone had a contract or a tort claim against a government agency, they had very few legal options. To sue, an injured party had to convince Congress to pass a bill to recover damages. It was done case-by-case.

In 1885, the U.S. Court of Claims was established. This was a court that heard contract cases filed against the U.S. Additional courts have been established since that allow some nontort claims against the federal government. Sovereign immunity in cases that seek injunctions or nonmonetary relief against the government was waived in 1976.

However, different rules apply when you sue a government body. Under sovereign immunity in Pennsylvania, you must provide proper notice to the right governmental office (usually the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s office) within six months of the injury. You also have to have proof that you supplied this notice. If you do not provide proper notice, you lose your right to file a personal injury lawsuit.

To ensure you provide proper notice to the correct party, you should consult with an attorney. If you wait too long, you will not be able to file a personal injury claim. You must also file the personal injury lawsuit within two years of the injury.

Examples of personal injury claims you can file against a municipality or governmental agency in Pennsylvania include:

  • Injuries on buses, trains and other public transport
  • Injuries caused by being struck by bus or train
  • Injuries caused by a governmental employee
  • Slips and falls caused by unsafe conditions on public property
  • Injuries suffered in motor vehicle accidents that are caused by a person driving a government vehicle

You can collect for five types of damages: past/future loss of earnings and earning capacity; pain and suffering; medical/dental expenses; loss of consortium; and property losses (except property losses that involve dangerous conditions, including potholes and sinkholes on commonwealth properties).

Experienced Legal Assistance To Navigate the Difficulties

Suing a governmental entity for personal injury is challenging. If you suffered a personal injury (or someone died) due to negligence by a city or the state, you should put your case in the hands of an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers By Lee Anthony Ciccarelli

Photo of Lee Anthony Ciccarelli

Can I be charged with a DUI if I have a medical marijuana card in Pennsylvania?

The Rise of Marijuana Related Drunk Driving In PennsylvaniaLearn more if you have questions about a medical …

Sponsored answer by Lee Anthony Ciccarelli

Photo of Lee Anthony Ciccarelli

Can I be charged with a crime for sharing prescription drugs in Pennsylvania?

It is a crime in Pennsylvania to share prescription drugs as well as illegal drugs.It might be hard to believe, …

Sponsored answer by Lee Anthony Ciccarelli

Photo of Lee Anthony Ciccarelli

Can I withdraw an allegation of domestic violence in Pennsylvania?

Advice on Domestic Violence Charges and Protection from Abuse in PennsylvaniaPennsylvania takes allegations of …

Sponsored answer by Lee Anthony Ciccarelli

Other Answers About Personal Injury - Plaintiff

Photo of William P. (Billy) Walker, Jr.

What steps do I take after a burn/electrical injury in South Carolina?

When one suffers a burn or electrical injury, one of the most important things they can do is seek the best doctor …

Sponsored answer by William P. (Billy) Walker, Jr.

Photo of Whitney J. Butcher

What should I do after a car wreck in North Carolina?

An auto wreck can change the lives of all those involved. Between serious injuries, property damage and increased …

Sponsored answer by Whitney J. Butcher

Photo of Phil Harding

Do I need a Lawyer if I am Injured in Colorado?

Yes. If you are injured in Colorado due to the action of another, you may be able to recover money for your …

Sponsored answer by Phil Harding

Call Me

To: Lee Anthony Ciccarelli

Super Lawyers: Potential Client Inquiry

Disclaimer »
Privacy Policy »
*Required fields
Page Generated: 1.2822318077087 sec