How Do I Know If I Have A Personal Injury Case In Pennsylvania?

Sponsored Answer
Christopher J. Marzzacco - Personal Injury - General - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Christopher J. Marzzacco

Marzzacco Niven & Associates
Harrisburg, PA
Phone: 717-622-2134
Fax: 717-231-1650

View Profile

Being injured in an accident is a devastating thing to go through. It is made worse when the accident was another person or party’s fault.

Victims of negligent accidents should not be responsible for paying medical bills, lost wages and other accident-related damages. But it can be difficult for these individuals to deal with insurance companies and other complexities in the aftermath of an accident. Additionally, they may not be aware of their rights or the laws that affect these cases.

If your accident was caused by the recklessness or negligence of another person or another party (company, product manufacturer, etc.), you may have a personal injury case in Pennsylvania. It is advisable to speak to a personal injury lawyer to confirm that you have a case, and to help you take appropriate legal action.

Do I Need An Attorney?

Trying to deal with insurance companies (and potentially large corporations) can be nearly impossible for an accident victim. To level the playing field, it is critical to get help from an experienced personal injury attorney.

Not only is it very wise to hire an attorney, it is advisable to do so very early on.

An attorney can immediately begin investigating the accident and gathering evidence. Is there video evidence of the accident? Were there any eyewitnesses? Could an investigator or accident reconstruction expert help build a stronger case?

What Is Comparative Negligence, And Does It Matter?

In many accident cases, one negligent person or party is completely responsible for an accident. (For example, a drunk driver who fails to stop for a stoplight and collides with a car.)

But in some cases, there may be more than one party at fault. This may be another party, or it may be you, the accident victim. This is known as comparative negligence, and it can affect a personal injury case.

Generally speaking, in Pennsylvania, if the accident victim is less than 50 percent at fault, he or she can recover compensation. The judge may adjust the amount depending on the level of responsibility.

If the accident victim is found to be 50 percent or more at fault, he or she generally does not have a case.

When In Doubt, Contact An Attorney

Personal injury cases can be complex. Insurance coverage, liability, investigations, and comparative negligence are just a few of the issues that can affect a case.

Accident victims do not have to face the process alone.

If you have been injured in an accident, talk to a personal injury lawyer to determine your legal options.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers By Christopher J. Marzzacco

Wage & Hour Laws

How Do I Know If I’m Entitled To Overtime In Pennsylvania?

In general, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires employers to pay nonexempt employees for all hours worked and to provide compensation at a …

Sponsored answer by Christopher J. Marzzacco

Trucking Accidents

How Quickly Do I Need To Act After A Trucking Accident In Pennsylvania?

Trucking accidents are always unexpected. When one happens, the accident victim and/or loved ones should promptly deal with the aftermath.Most …

Sponsored answer by Christopher J. Marzzacco

Motor Vehicle Accidents

What Compensation Can I Recover After A Vehicle Accident In Pennsylvania?

No one expects to be in a car accident — and few are truly prepared to deal with the aftermath of a car accident. The most pressing need is …

Sponsored answer by Christopher J. Marzzacco

Other Answers About Personal Injury - Plaintiff

Personal Injury - Plaintiff

What kinds of compensation can injury victims get in Florida?

After an accident in Florida, there are a number of different types of compensation a victim and his or her family can seek to make up for pain and …

Sponsored answer by Stefano Portigliatti

Personal Injury - Plaintiff

What are the personal injury damage caps in Louisiana?

If you are seriously injured, there are no caps to the damages you can recover in most cases. Building your case to prove all of your damages is an …

Sponsored answer by Walter Marshall Sanchez

Personal Injury - Plaintiff

When can I sue for wrongful death in Connecticut?

Losing a loved one because of a fatal accident is stressful and painful for anyone. If someone else’s negligence caused that accident, the …

Sponsored answer by James G. Williams


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.76612901687622 sec