Who will pay my medical bills while my case is ongoing, after a car accident in West Virginia?

Sponsored Answer
Charles M. Love, IV

Answered by:
Charles M. Love, IV

Located in Charleston, WV
The Love Law Firm

Charles M. Love, IV - Personal Injury - General - Super Lawyers

Answered by: Charles M. Love, IV

The Love Law Firm
Charleston, WV
Phone: 304-344-5683
Fax: 304-344-5684

View Profile

Ultimately, the person who was at fault for the wreck will pay the medical bills. That can be small comfort while the case is ongoing and you still see bills pile up for your care. While your case is still underway, you have options to ensure you can pay your bills: your regular health insurance, medical payment (Med Pay) coverage from your auto insurance and an agreement with your health care provider could all work. However, you should know that each option has pros and cons.

Your options to pay medical bills, while also dealing with an ongoing lawsuit

I would recommend that you start by trying to use your standard health insurance if you have it. In some cases, health care providers might attempt to reject claims stemming from car accident injuries. They might say you should use Med Pay coverage for it if you use insurance at all. However, there’s no reason that they cannot cover car insurance injures. Approach it the same way you would any other health care need. Don’t mention that you have a pending lawsuit, or that you have a lawyer. That can minimize any possibility that they won’t pay your costs.

Med Pay coverage is another option. Med Pay coverage is often a part of your auto insurance policy, or you can also buy it separately. Medical providers prefer to bill Med Pay coverage rather than regular insurance because they can get more money from Med Pay coverage. And, it can be simpler for you if you have it too. With regular health insurance, you are responsible for your deductibles or copays. With Med Pay, you don’t have to pay those.

If you’re using insurance, whether it’s private health insurance or Med Pay coverage, make sure that the health care professional bills your insurance, and not you. Mistakes in billing can lead to you being responsible for huge bills without any help. While these issues can be fixed, it can take time and is stressful.

If you don’t have insurance of any kind, you may consider an arrangement directly with your health care provider. In some cases, you can agree with them that if they treat you now, you will pay them back out of the settlement you receive, later. A lawyer can help you make this arrangement if it’s your only option.

Focus on healing, not financial stress

Whatever your situation, there is no need for you to worry about paying bills when you should be able to focus on recovering. A car accident lawyer can help you figure out your best option for ensuring that your health care bills are paid, even while your case is ongoing.

Disclaimer: The answer is intended to be for informational purposes only. It should not be relied on as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship.

Other Answers About Motor Vehicle Accidents

Motor Vehicle Accidents

What coverage do I have after an auto accident in Michigan?

Under Michigan law, you need to consider your benefits and entitlements under first party claims, third party claims, and UM/UIM claims.First Party …

Sponsored answer by Johnny L. Hawkins

Motor Vehicle Accidents

How Long Do I Have To Sue After A New York Car Or Truck Accident?

The statute of limitations to file a lawsuit after a motor vehicle accident varies. In New York, the statute of limitations in nonfatal motor vehicle …

Sponsored answer by Craig D. Rosenbaum

Motor Vehicle Accidents

Should I get a lawyer after a car accident in California?

While you may not need to retain a car accident attorney for a small property damage only claim, many car accidents result in personal injuries to …

Sponsored answer by Scott J. Corwin


If you send a lawyer or law firm email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information via this email service. The lawyer or law firm to whom you are writing may not choose to accept you as a client. Moreover, as the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment it is possible that your email sent via the Internet might be intercepted and read by third parties. Super Lawyers will not retain a copy of this message.

Page Generated: 0.92581701278687 sec